podcasts and the social media ecosystem
- Group projects
- What Is The Social Media Ecosystem?
- Blog Usability
- Blog “voice” check: use your headlines to “sell” your post to the person who sees it in the RSS reader.
- NO “uncategorized” posts!!! Fix these before next week, please. 🙂
- In your groups — Discuss what you learned from the other teams as a result of reviewing their proposals. How are you going to change/refine your proposal, based on that insight? BLOG this as a comment on your “page” on the course blog; due before this breakout ENDS. Report back to the class at large on how you are planning to incorporate the feedback into your final proposal.
Social media ecosystem
- PPT (lecture notes)
- Helen: Podcasting In A Real Business
- Ohio Ikea Store
- Changing power relationships
- Resource: Six Degrees of Separation (book)
- Resource: Cluetrain Manifesto (book & website)
- Twitter Resource: Friend or Follow (Helen)
Blog usability and reader expectations (with a little SEO for seasoning)
- Link usability tips (color, style)
- Link usability/SEO tips (no “click here” links!)
- Type usability tips (sans serif rules – why?)
- The need for contrast (dark on light rules – why?)
- Why readers need categorized posts!
- Test ride your headlines (stick the phrase into your favorite search engine)
Reminder: your blog will be evaluated at the end of the quarter on how well it matches genre as well as how usable/readable it is!
- Solo Lab Assignment — Pick one blog that you are reading this quarter and one podcast that you are listening to/watching. [Or pick one from the 2009 student list – if your info isn’t on the list, please add it! – or the 2008 list] Create one blog post (categorize it “assignment” or “PIB Assignment”) that analyzes the blogs — design, readability, genre allegiance, etc. Use the criteria we used to analyze proposals — reverse engineer (deduce) the answers to things like “who is the audience” and provide evidence for your deductions. Due next Tuesday before class.
- Blog post (see above assignment)
- Revisit your blog design given our discussion tonight. Whether you decide to change nothing or change a lot, make a post before class next week that details your analysis of your blog design and why you changed or didn’t change it.
- Lecture will begin at 8 pm; 6-8 pm is group project time.
Last Week Assignment: Podcast Promos
- Alvin: Exercise Your Mind and Body
- Annie: Social Potato Chips
- Helen: Dinner and a Beer
- Renee: 19th Century Black American Poets
- Rubi: Latin American Fairy Tales (help Rubi with name?)
- Sarah: Cheap Eats
- Vera: Don’t Be So Culture Shock(ed)
- Ziwen: Name? Still need “short” descriptor!
Tags & Folksonomies